For 4th of July weekend, one of my best friends and I took a road trip up to Lake Tahoe. I made lemon chia seed muffins to help us get through our three hour car ride up to the Lake. The muffins were both perfectly delicious and satisfying. Since then, I have become a chia seed addict. Chia seeds expand in your stomach making you feel full, without consuming a lot of calories. These muffins are perfect for any road trip.
Lemon and Chia Seed Muffin Recipe
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
- 3/4 cups of granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cups of skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of agave
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl mix the wet ingredients: ricotta, water, olive oil and egg.
- Zest the two lemons into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Then squeeze the lemon juice from the two lemons into the same bowl.
- Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients. When the batter is smooth add the chia seeds.
- Put cupcake liners into the muffin tray. I made mini muffins but any standard muffin tin would work.
- For mini muffins, bake for about 10 minutes. For standard muffins, bake for about 15.
- Let the muffins cool for about 15 minutes. Then brush agave nectar on the top of the muffins.
Recipe inspired by: http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/honey-lemon-chia-seed-muffins/